Monday, November 26, 2007

Another Episode-Could it be a seizure?

I was reading the New York Times and feeling a little out of sorts. (When I woke up an hour earlier I felt great). I layed down on the couch and kept getting sicker and sicker-stomach hurting , feet tingling , lips numb, bad taste in my mouth. I got down on the floor and put my feet up on the couch. I crossed my legs and tensed my arms as I read this might avert the fainting.

Well My heart started fluttering and my blood pressure was way low. I called my husbsand downstairs and told him call 911. I feel so badly when this happens, I feel as if I am dying. Vaso-vagal is not supposed to happen when you're lying down.

Everyone was very nice to me. I was really nauseated in the ambulance. My blood pressure was initially 70/40 but went up almost immediately.

In the hospital the doctor said what I have may not be vaso-vagal syncope but seizures, something I've never had. He told me to go to a neurologist and get tested. He said St Barnabus Hospital has such a facility where they keep you overnight and monitor you even while sleeping.
He also suggested stopping the beta blockers.

He was ready to discharge me when I started feeling ill again. He gave me a small dose of some medication to relax me. He said it was like valium and is also used to prevent seizures. I also had some lunch and eventually felt better enough to go home.

Time for me to research atypical seizures and then get back to you.

Beth

No comments: