Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Neurological Disorder

Hi,

I was hoping to put my episodes behind me as the medicine Keppra seemed to make the symptoms go away. But I went to the gym last week and again went into a near fainting experience. My husband was with me and by massaging my feet and back I start reviving. Before he begins the massage,
I feel this strange feeling coming on for about 5 minutes. I get a strange taste in my mouth, tingling in my legs and arms, and I see a round light. Then I can't move for about 5 or10 minutes and get a really bad headache. I am tired for the rest of the day. Luckily I get advanced warning before the attacks so I don't fall down and get hurt.

I am getting a 24 hour EEG in 2 weeks and wonder if they'll find I have some horrible neurological disease. It's really frightening. Right now I feel fatigued and am trying not to exert myself too much

If anyone reads this an has similar symptoms please write.

Thanks,
Beth


2 comments:

Ayla said...

Hi! I have similar symptoms as you, and have already been diagnosed with vaso-vagal syncope. That didn't explain everything, however, because I do get queasy at the sight of blood, however when I worked out I would faint or come close to fainting. I was also diagnosed with POTS (postural tachycardia syndrome)-which sounds a lot like what you have, too. Basically, it just means that if you change your position too quickly, it can cause your heart to either speed up too quickly or slow down (oddly enough), interacting with your vaso-vagal symptoms, which makes you feel faint. I only had one episode when I suddenly collapsed and couldn't move--and my cardiologist described this as a 'half-faint', or just the fact that my body didn't complete the whole process of shutting down. I normally just faint, though. Anyways, you might want to ask your doctor about POTS-because I would always get the same exact feelings you described before I fainted, especially while exercising. And I found out that it was because I switched positions too fast normally, or, something triggered me to faint. I hope this helped!

Beth said...

Thanks for your comment. This is the first time anyone has responded. My episodes have a few different triggers such as exercise, stress,heat,and sometimes going to the bathroom. All of these affect the autonomic nervous system and the vagus nerve. but our symptoms seem to be the same. I have been feeling better lately and hope these episodes will be less frequent . Hope you are doing well.